Saturday, June 19, 2010

Two days ago I had a female cecropia moth emerge. I took her and the male that emerged earlier to a library program and put her out that night to attract a "wild" male. (Are there any other kind???) No luck, but last night, or rather early this morning before 6 A.M. there were at least 20+ flying wildly around my patio and in the yard. I caught 4 huge males with my hands and placed them in the bird cage. By the time I got dressed and came back out the others were gone and the pair were mating. (They will be there for about 24 hours.)
What a sight!!

I have been totally remiss about writing, but this summer I am doing many libraries in Ohio and Michigan and the theme this summer in both is Make a Splash in Reading! My story centers on the creatures of the ocean and a delightful dophin, DEEVine, and a captivating sea dragon, Macaroonitooni, who cannot find his pearl! I have not brought my other creatures (luna, polyphemus caterpillars, polyphemus moths and baby praying mantis) to the programs. I've had about three that have been the story of Jack and the Sky Place and I've taken them then.

This spring, once again, we had a big puppet theatre production at Olander Park where the kids made 2 rod puppets for the play. They made a people puppet and an animal found in the park. What a fun time we had creating the puppets, designing scenery and working on the script for the production.

I love doing workshops, but had one in Farmington Hills in early March that I will never forget.
I was just recovering from the stomach flu where I had laid low the day before. I had a library program the next day at Farmington Hills and a workshop for teachers in the afternoon. My husband did not want me to drive the 100 miles away, but I stubbornly insisted that I was better and the "show" must go on!

I fainted during the show and 3 women from the audience rushed up to seat me on a hastily collected chair! What a traumatic experience for me and the people there let out an audible cry!
I finished the show standing, even though the librarian wanted me to sit. I rested in between and by the time of the workshop I was better. This has haunted me, however, and ran into some gals at the MiAEYC conference who asked me how I was for they had heard about it!

We are heading to New Orleans within the week to attend my sister's 40th wedding anniversary. It will be great fun seeing and getting together with my sister's family.

4 comments:

dbsenk.wordpress.com said...

Hello Joyce,
I attended your presentation at the MiAEYC for many years, and one workshop in Toledo. I learned so much from you and would like to share a little on my own blog. I retired from teaching Kindergarten and started a blog to share some of my classroom activities. I love using puppets, and want to share some things you taught me - I want you to have the credit. I hope that it is okay with you, I would like to share your name and blog. You have so much to share, I would love it if you would include your wonderful insight and tips about using puppets, I know a lot of people will be checking your site! My blog is dbsenk.wordpress.com
Thank you so much
Diane

Anonymous said...

I told your cecropia story to many elementary kids this fall. They got excited thinking about being surrounded by lots of BIG moths.

I had a confused female polyphemus eclose in early September. I used your refrigerator trick to keep her alive for a few weeks so she could go to schools with me for an extended period. It was great being able to show kids the live versions of the caterpillar, cocoon and moth at the same time.

Kevin

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce,
I just attended the MiAYC conference and I presented Developmentally Appropriate curriculum for children with special needs and typically developing children. I used my puppets Emelia and Harry too! Next year I think I will do a puppet workshop. I miss going to your workshops, and I always think of how fun it was to attend your workshops. I am carrying on the puppet tradition still in my classroom in Tawas (Hale) IRESA. I would love to get back in contact with you about puppet things. Thank you for all you have done for promoting puppets classrooms
Betty Jane (BJ) Brandt
Iosco RESA
bbrandt@ioscoresa.net

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce,
I just attended the MiAYC conference and I presented Developmentally Appropriate curriculum for children with special needs and typically developing children. I used my puppets Emelia and Harry too! Next year I think I will do a puppet workshop. I miss going to your workshops, and I always think of how fun it was to attend your workshops. I am carrying on the puppet tradition still in my classroom in Tawas (Hale) IRESA. I would love to get back in contact with you about puppet things. Thank you for all you have done for promoting puppets classrooms
Betty Jane (BJ) Brandt
Iosco RESA
bbrandt@ioscoresa.net